Red Lentil Dahl Mini Quiche with delicious vegan cheese.
This is a popular Indian cuisine prepared in tartlets. With a spicy soft texture. A dish that will surprise you very much.
They are easy to make, you just need to make a quick basic dough for the base and cook the dhal apart. For children, or when we have a more festive menu, we can present them like this, or simply serve them on a plate accompanied by a cereal.
SERVINGS: 4 DIFFICULTY: Medium TIME: 50 Min.
THE BASE OF THE TARTLETS
- 175 GR WHOLEGRAIN SPELT FLOUR
- 100 GR WHITE FLOUR
- 10 GR SESAME SEEDS
- 6 GR SALT
- 50 GR OLIVE OIL
- 100 ML WATER
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 RED ONION
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES
- 2 CARROT
- 1 FENNEL
- 1 CUP OF RED LENTILS
- 1 TBSP CURRY POWDER
- 1 TSP OF CUMIN
- 1 LITER VEGETABLE BROTH
- SALT, PEPPER
FOR THE VEGAN CHEESE
- 1 CUP ACTIVATED CASHEWS
- 1 TBSP WHITE MISO
- 1 TBSP NUTRITIONAL YEAST
- 1 TSP UMEBOSHI VINEGAR
- In a bowl, pour the two spelt flours and the salt. Mix well with your two hands. Add the sesame seeds and mix again. Go pouring the olive oil little by little and leave mixing with your hands as if you were undoing lumps. Finally, add water little by little until it forms a ball. Let the ball rest for at least half an hour in the covered refrigerator with a clean kitchen towel.
- Remove the ball from the refrigerator, and preheat the oven to 180ºC. cut equal pieces of dough and with the help of a rolling pin, you extend them, cutting with a pastry cutter or with the help of a knife and a mold equal rings.
- Coat the base of your tartlet moulds with olive oil at the base, and then place the dough. Bake them for 15 minutes, until the dough is cooked but not too hard. Set aside.
- Appart, prepare the filling of Dahl lentils: put a little oil in the base of a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they begin to release the aroma, add the chopped red onion and the garlic cloves (minced). When they are brown, add the carrot and fennel cut into cubes. Cover the casserole and let them cook with their own steam. If necessary, add a little vegetable broth. Add the Dahl lentils or red lentils and add double their volume in vegetable broth or water. Let them simmer until the liquid evaporates and a thick mixture remains. Remove from time to time so that the lentils do not stick to the bottom of the pan. Add the curry at the end so that it retains all its aroma.
- Blend the activated cashews with the least water possible, adding a little water to soak if necessary. Add the rest of the other ingredients and spread on the baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes until it dries. Chop the dough with the knife and also crumble with your fingers, until it is the consistency of Parmesan.
- To compone the tartlets, put the filling (that you will have left thick) of dhal lentils inside the baked tartlets. Put the vegan cheese sprinkled on top, and give them an oven whip at 180ºC for 3-5 minutes.
KITCHEN TIPS: The lentils get a special touch with shiro miso or white miso, creaminess and smoother consistency.