Discover How to Make this Fresh and Healthy Tabbouleh
In the summertime, we all want to eat fresh and light dishes, like this typical Lebanese one, that combines basmati rice with fresh herbs and condiments.
Basmati rice is tasty, aromatic and versatile, proper for warm temperature. You can prepare this recipe for home or picnic for going out with friends and family.
SERVINGS: 4 DIFFICULTY: Easy TIME: 20 Min
FOR THE BASMATI RICE BASE
1 CUP BASMATI RICE
2 CUPS OF WATER
A HANDFUL OF BLACK OLIVES
3 SUNDRIED TOMATOES
TO MARINATE THE RED ONION
1 RED ONION
4 LEAVES FRESH MINT
1 HANDFUL FRESH BASIL
A PINCH OF SALT
½ TSP APPLE SAUCE
A HANDFUL ROCKET
3 TBSP OLIVE OIL
1 TBSP ORGANIC SOY SAUCE
A PINCH OF SALT
50 ML WATER OR VEGETABLE BROTH
1. In a saucepan, boil two cups of water with a pinch of salt. When it starts to boil, add the basmati rice and let it cook (covered with a lid) for 20-25 minutes. When it’s cooked, let it cool down immediately.
2. In another casserole, blanch the diced carrots first for 5 minutes. When cooked cool down in cold water. Cut the broccoli in small florets and repeat the process.
3. Place the dried tomato on a kitchen paper to remove the excess oil. Cut it into cubes and add it to the blanched broccoli and carrot. Repeat the process with the cucumber: cut it into cubes and mix it with the rest of the vegetables. Finally, chop the black olives and add to the mixture.
4. Marinate the red onion for half an hour. For that, cut it into small cubes and add all the ingredients: salt, fresh mint and chopped basil, sweet paprika and apple concentrate. Check the taste, it has to be more salty than sweet.
5. In a tall bowl or food processor, blend together all the ingredients of the vinaigrette.
6. Finally, mix the rice with the vegetables, the marinated onion and the vinaigrette. Mix well, and enjoy!
KITCHEN TIPS: you can try any other cereal you like, the trick is that the cereal has to be loose after cooked. For that, there are two interesting tips:
-Toast the cereal first in a saucepan and after that, cook it covered with a lid. It must be cooled down immediately on a tray.
-With a fork, separate the grains so that they loosen a little bit. You have to do it for a few minutes, but the result will be much better!