Only a few foods in nature are favoured by the nutrients that bee pollen contains. You can include this superfood as a food-medicine in your diet, especially in spring.
Bee Pollen Characteristics
Pollen is the male gamete of flowers, which the wind or insects (especially bees) are responsible for reaching the female peristyle. It’s composed of microscopic yellowish particles that have enough energy for the formation of a fruit or a seed. When the bees perch on the flowers in search of nectar to make honey, the second work of gathering takes place at the same time. Pollen is collected by bees for reproduction, food and to supply the glands that produce royal jelly.
A treasure with active ingredients
Bee pollen brings together the many qualities of the plants to which it belongs, offering active principles that bees transmit in their pure state. Thorough laboratory analyzes have so far identified more than 50 active substances contained in pollen, with an astonishingly wide spectrum of action on a large number of diseases and dysfunctions of the human body. The body has a great capacity to absorb this food, since it is ingested in its natural state, without practically suffering any manipulation.
Properties of bee pollen
Among the most prominent principles, we can find the following:
- It’s a great regulator of intestinal functions: it regulates both episodes of diarrhoea and constipation.
- It’s a great revitalizer of the organism.
- In states of weakness, convalescence and in old age it is very suitable because it is very rich in protein.
- Due to its content of high-quality amino acids, minerals and vitamins, it constitutes an interesting nutritional supplement for people with anaemia, as it increases the rate of haemoglobin and the number of red blood cells in the blood. It is an effective liver regulator. Combat sexual asthenia.
- It is a great regulator of the body, regulates the thyroid gland especially in cases of hyperthyroidism.
How to take it
Bee pollen is sold dry or fresh. Being a food that provides great vitality, it is better to consume it when we get up, fasting, dissolved with half a glass of warm water. As it has a large number of water-soluble vitamins, such as vitamin C and other antioxidants, it must be consumed cold, that is, as I mentioned before, dissolved in warm water, not hot. To consume the best pollen it is important to consider the following:
- To check that it is in optimal condition when squeezing a granule, it has to be sandy and dissolve easily. If not and the pollen does not dissolve easily, it will be non-recent pollen and will have lost much of its nutrients.
- You have to keep it in the fridge and respect the expiration dates that it puts on the bottle. If the pollen is fresh, it is better to consume it as soon as possible.
In conclusion, I can say that, after a few days of taking pollen, its beneficial effects begin to be noticed. In states of asthenia or fatigue, it is advisable to take it for 20 days in a row and rest for another 10. If you have an allergy to it, you should consult a specialist or naturopath.